Dynamic product ads (or DPA) are a campaign type that lets you promote an entire product catalog without having to configure individual ads for each item. DPA campaigns sync with your product catalog to deliver the most relevant ads to your audience.
DPAs are most powerful when used in conjunction with Facebook pixels on your website. E‑commerce and retailers with high web traffic can use DPA campaigns to re-engage their shoppers and drive successful conversions. Based on audience interest data from your site, you can cross-sell or retarget audiences with dynamic product ads, no matter what device the audience was browsing on.
Dynamic product ads are:
Scalable: Promote all of your products with only one creative template, to be automatically populated with products from your catalog.
Always on: Set up your campaigns once and then continually reach people with the right product at the right time.
Cross-device: Reach people with ads on any device they use, regardless of their original touchpoint for your business.
Highly relevant: Show people ads for products they are interested in to increase their likelihood to purchase.
- Always up-to-date: Update ads automatically with new products from the catalog, without requiring campaign adjustments.
Learn more about Dynamic product ads
Before creating a DPA campaign in AdEspresso, your product catalog needs to be uploaded to your Facebook ads account. See below for more information
To create a Dynamic Product Ad campaign
- Click New campaign on the main navigation bar and proceed to create a campaign as usual.
- Under What do you want to promote? select the Website tab, and then click Dynamic Product Ad.
- Click Proceed.
- On the Ads Design step (2), select a Product Catalog from the drop-down menu.
- Select an existing Product Set to promote from the catalog selected, or click Create Product Set to build a new product set from your product catalog.
- Optional: Click Add (+) to run a split test on subsets of your catalog.
- Create your ad template by completing the following fields:
- URL (required): This URL is overwritten in each ad by the product URL contained in your catalog feed. A default URL is required in case of redirects. Enter your website URL as default. http:// or https:// is required.
- Ad Text, Headline, Link Description, Call To Action (optional)
Click Insert Placeholder to pull applicable text for each ad from fields in your product catalog file. Remember that this template creative will be used to create ads for all of your products, so keep text generic, and applicable to all products.
- Set up your conversion tracking, and then proceed to the Audience step (3), where you have the option to select a New Audience, Retargeting, or Cross/Up selling.
Retargeting: Select a product audience from the Included drop-down menu, or click Create new product audience, and select the audience you want to retarget based on the actions they completed on your website.
Cross/Up Selling: Select a product audience from the Included drop-down menu, and then select a Product Set this audience has already viewed or purchased.
- Filter your audience further as required, and then click Proceed.
What is a product catalog?
A product catalog is a structured data file (CSV or XML) containing an inventory list. Each row in the file contains columns of attributes that define a single product. For example a name, description, product image, product URL, price, or number in stock.
Many businesses already use product catalogs, sometimes called product feeds, to advertise their products online. Facebook product catalogs are backwards compatible with industry formats that marketers already use. This means existing feeds can be easily exported and uploaded to Facebook.
More helpful resources:
- How to create a product catalog and upload it to your Facebook ad account
- Creating a product catalog from scratch (technical)
- Facebook's best practices for DPAs
- Facebook's product feed debug tool
- Creating dynamic ads campaigns in Facebook
- Dynamic Product Ads- AdEspresso Webinar
Manage product catalogs
In AdEspresso you can view the product catalogs associated with each of your ad accounts, rename your product catalogs and sets, and create new product sets.
To manage a product catalog
- Click Tools on the main navigation bar, and then select Product catalogs.
- Select an ad account from the drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Click Select Product Catalog, and then select a catalog.
Click Add Product Set to create a new product set.
Click Rename to rename a product catalog or set.
Click New Catalog to create a new product catalog. You will be redirected to your Facebook ad account to create the catalog.